11. Quadranym & Polynym Wiki/Aquisition
The human mind adapted to a symbolic culture, thus, extending biological memory out to function within a culture.
— Merlin Donald, 1991.
Check out the prototype database at…
Open Source Language Project
We introduce a method to acquire sets of conceptual relations in a format of dimensions. We call it nymology, a practice of collecting and organizing idea sets: each a set of terms representing a certain number of dimensions used to strategically unfold, frame or simplify a concept. Each set functions as either part, step or type. A dimension number is called a polynym i.e., mononym, duonym, trionym, tetranym, pentanym and so on. Entries include, area, source, URL. A collection resembles a thesaurus and can be used to help populate knowledgebase systems and enhance queries.
What is a Polynym?
We use Polynym to describe idea sets (as part, step or type), such as:
- 3 parts × Freud’s psyche = [ Id, Ego, Superego ]
- 7 types × Deadly sins = [ Wrath, Greed, Sloth, Pride, Lust, Envy, Gluttony ]
- 5 steps × Grief = [ denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance ]
There is a difference between artifactual polynyms based on long term study (accepted or rejected) and system processes representing polynym constructs assembled for the moment, to contextualize a situation.
- Polynym idea sets are strategic ways to think about a topic. Strategies pertain to the Situational Context. That is, what is true or false. It is a deliberative process in that a topic is about what the condition is.
- Polynym idea sets exist in virtually every discipline and are abundant.
What is a Quadranym?
We define Quadranym as a four-part conceptual construct using a dual-axis Mode-State model. It operates as a virtual unit of orientation & constraint.
Expansive-Reductive (ER-mode) and Objective-Subjective (OS-state).
- Quadranym idea sets are about framing a response to a topic. Responses pertain to the Dynamical Context. That is, how one copes. It is on the heuristic level in that it is about a quick and easy response to a situation.